(RNS) At some point this week, French Cardinal Jean-Louis Touran will step out on to the Vatican balcony and announce “Habemus Papam!”, or “We have a pope!”
The new pope’s first name is actually announced in Latin (this is the Vatican, after all), so if you want to be fully prepped, our friends at Catholic News Service have prepared a list of all the cardinals’ names in Latin:
– Raimundum (in case its hard-liner Raymond Burke of St. Louis)
– Marcum (Canadian front-runner Marc Oullet)
– Timotheum (New York’s own Timothy Dolan)
– Patricium (for Boston’s Sean Patrick O’Malley)
While you’re looking around for other cool pope stuff:
- Will Cardinal O’Malley win because he looks like a kindly grandfather type? Maybe, says a new study.
- CNS has an hour-by-hour timeline for the cardinals who are huddled inside the Sistine Chapel
- CNS also has a handy hour-by-hour timeline for when to watch for smoke from the Sistine Chapel chimney
- NameThePope.com is taking bets on the pope’s new name. Currently in the running: John Paul III.
- Vote in the final round of our Sweet Sistine bracket to pick who becomes the Peoples’ Pope