Position Opening: Editor-in-Chief
Religion News Service (RNS) is seeking an experienced and talented editor to lead our award-winning team of journalists in producing the world’s only nonprofit news site and syndication service devoted to unbiased, non-sectarian coverage of religion, spirituality and ideas.
The Editor-in-Chief coordinates the production of news, commentary and photos for RNS’s online audience at ReligionNews.com and more than 100 media partners. Managing a small internal reporting and editing staff and a much larger group of freelancers, the Editor-in-Chief is responsible for all editorial content, including meeting the highest journalistic, legal and ethical standards. The Editor-in-Chief reports to the Publisher/CEO and is an ex-officio, non-voting member of the RNS Board of Managers. The Editor-in-Chief is appointed by the Board of Managers.
The ideal candidate will have managed a small- to mid-size editorial team for a digital news operation, experience on the religion beat, and a passion for building a thriving nonprofit news organization in the digital age.
- Authority and responsibility for all RNS editorial content; the Editor-in-Chief maintains editorial independence and is the final arbiter of editorial content decisions
- Supervision, support and ongoing development of the RNS editorial team, including staff reporters, bloggers, and freelancers
- Planning and executing an editorial strategy that grows RNS’s online audience, leverages new and emerging media platforms, and positions RNS as the leading source for unbiased, authoritative religion news and commentary
- Identifying and recruiting talented reporters, editors, bloggers, interns and other content contributors
- Serving as a spokesperson for RNS, effectively conveying RNS’s mission to the public
- Working with the business and technology staff on audience growth initiatives, subscriber relations, marketing and sales leads, and new product development
- Working closely with the Publisher/CEO to execute the business strategy, monitor fiscal and legal compliance, and assist with fundraising efforts, including foundation grants.
- A track record of excellence in news editing; superior news judgment; ability to spot trending stories, jump on breaking news and contribute thoughtful analysis
- Experience on the religion news beat; familiarity with American and global religious traditions, history, theology, institutions, personalities and trends.
- Experience managing and editing a small- to mid-size editorial team at an online news organization (or comparable digital news editing experience)
- Demonstrated online-news orientation; fluency with social media and current, online newsgathering tools and techniques; curiosity and enthusiasm for using new media platforms to cover the news
- Strong technical skills, including familiarity with common content management systems (especially WordPress) and analytic reporting tools (especially Google Analytics)
- Commitment to RNS’s mission to provide in-depth, non-sectarian news coverage of religion, spirituality and ideas.
Please send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and three professional references to RNS Publisher Heidi Thompson at RNS.Search@gmail.com by Friday, July 17.